When storing chemicals in the lab, it’s important to ensure proper guidelines are followed. This helps keep your lab running smoothly and ensures the safety of personnel and the environment.
Chemical Storage Dos
In addition to ensuring chemicals are properly labeled, container contents, hazard/precautionary statement, manufacturer information, and keeping a comprehensive chemical inventory, there are many things you can do to ensure proper chemical storage.
- Ensure there’s a designated space for each chemical. Designated spaces help you confirm chemicals are stored based on chemical compatibility.
- Do not store open containers. This increases the chance of spills and the release of noxious fumes into the laboratory and the environment.
- Keep large, heavy containers in easy-to-retrieve areas.
Yet, the best way to protect personnel from noxious fumes, prevent accidental mixing of incompatible chemicals, and ensure chemicals are properly stored is to use a proper chemical storage cabinet. A chemical storage cabinet is purpose-built to capture noxious odors, VOCs and vapors. OSHA’s Laboratory Safety for Chemical Fume Hoods recommends avoiding chemical storage within ductless fume hoods, which are not intended for chemical storage.
SafeSTORE™ Chemical Storage Cabinet
The SafeSTORE cabinets trap chemical vapors to prevent operator exposure and chemical cross contamination and eliminate ecological impact from chemical release into the environment. At the heart of the SafeSTORE product line is innovative filtration technology. The Multiplex Filtration System consists of a pre-filter, main activated carbon or HEPA/ULPA filter and safety activated carbon or HEPA/ULPA filter. The system can be configured to capture acids, bases and particulates when paired with HEPA or ULPA filters.
- Safe to Use. Cabinet airflow and face velocity protect users from incidental exposures to organic odors and fumes using an activated carbon main filter formulated for general purpose storage. The addition of optional HEPA/ULPA filtration eliminates exposure to biological particulates.
- Versatile. Each filtration system is selected for its specific application. Carbon filters are available in more than 14 configurations for use with vapors of organic solvents, acids, mercury and formaldehyde, with added optional HEPA/ULPA filters for biological safety.
- Environmental Benefits. Isolates and traps chemical vapors to prevent ecological impact through release into the environment.
- Cost Effective. Facility ductwork, HVAC and construction costs are eliminated
Learn more about the SafeSTORE™ Chemical Storage Cabinet or see the full range of Air Science® Filtered / Vented Storage Cabinets.